The complete multiwell MEA system
The evaluation of electrically-active cells has historically been tedious, requiring months of training to painstakingly study single cells in low throughputs. By culturing a network of cells over the high electrode count arrays available in each well of our MEA plates, Axion BioSystems’ Maestro Pro multiwell MEA system captures activity across an entire population of cells, with far greater data points per well, detecting activity patterns that would otherwise elude traditional assays. Axion’s contribution to establishing microelectrode array (MEA) technology as an accessible, versatile research tool cannot be defined by a single advantage. It’s the cumulative effect of our commitment to growing our multiwell MEA system to include instruments, accessories and software working in unison.
…and impedance system, all in one platform
Cell-based assays enable rapid evaluation of human biology in vitro, with substantial advantages in throughput and cost over tissue or animal models. However, many cell-based assays are endpoint assays, limited to a single snapshot in time. Axion BioSystems’ Maestro Pro platform also offers impedance-based cell analysis for real-time, continuous, label-free monitoring of your cells. Continuous data reveals the kinetics of cell-cell interactions and cell-drug responses for better mechanistic understanding without the time- and cost-intensive process of repeating multiple endpoint assays.
The complete platform
- Measure cellular activity label-free and real-time – The Maestro Pro detects key parameters of neural network activity, cardiac functionality, and cell growth, death and attachment.
- Precisely control the cells environment – Cells are a product of their environment. Maestro Pro has a smart environmental chamber that finely controls temperature and CO₂ while rejecting electrical noise and mechanical vibrations.
- Connect to your network – 768 simultaneous live recordings from your cells with the Neural and Cardiac modules. Now you can understand life’s circuitry label free in real time in 6-, 24-, 48-, or 96-well plates.
- Continuous cell monitoring – 384 simultaneous live recordings from your cells with the Impedance module. Track cell proliferation, morphology, and viability in real-time in 96- or 384-well plates.
- See your cells – Sometimes you just want to look at your cells under a microscope. Maestro’s CytoView patented transparent circuit technology allows cell visualization and assay multiplexing.
- Control cellular activity – Recreate specific patterns of cellular activity using electrical stimulation or light pulses (with the Lumos optical stimulation system)
- Start your assay with the push of a button – “One button setup,” means temperature and CO₂ levels automatically adjust on plate docking. Plate usage is logged via an integrated plate barcode scanner for convenient experiment tracking.
- Monitor the kinetics of your biology on your smartphone – No need to be in lab. With the Impedance module, track changes in cell proliferation, viability, and cell killing over minutes or weeks.
The Maestro Pro system allows you to capture the complex biology of your cells. Whether monitoring the kinetics of cellular growth and death or recording the activity of excitable cells; the Maestro Pro can help you record it noninvasively, in real time, and with software tools to make analysis quick and painless.
Customize your Maestro Pro system for your assay needs:
The Maestro Pro platform is available with six software modules: Neural, Cardiac, MEA Automation, Impedance and GxP Impedance. Select the software modules to match your assay needs:
Neural – Measure the key parameters of neural network function, including activity (are the neurons functional?), synchrony (are the synapses functional?), and oscillation (is the network functional?).
Cardiac – Record the four key measures of functional cardiac performance, label free and in real time in every well of the multiwell plate: action potential (a.k.a. LEAP assay); field potential; propagation; and contractility.
MEA Viability – Measure cell viability and coverage on MEA plates for a complete structure-function assay.
MEA Automation – Automate Cardiac and Neural MEA assays with this API for interfacing with liquid handling platforms.
Impedance – Track cell proliferation, morphology, and viability label-free and in real-time. Ideal for immuno-oncology, cytotoxicity, virology, cell migration, cell proliferation, GPCR assays, and many more.
GxP Impedance – Achieve FDA 21 CFR Part 11 compliance in GMP/GLP labs with this version of the Impedance Software Module.
Impedance Automation – Automate impedance assays with this API for interfacing with liquid handling platforms.
All of Axion’s MEA and impedance assay multiwell plates can be used with the Maestro Pro system. Select the multiwell plates to match your assay needs:
CytoView MEA – The premium Maestro MEA plate with a transparent well bottom for cell visualization and assay multiplexing. Available in 96-, 48-, 24-, and 6-well plate formats.
BioCircuit MEA – Maestro MEA plates with an opaque well bottom delivering high-quality results at the lowest cost per well. Available in 96-, 48-, 24-well plate formats.
Lumos MEA – Maestro MEA plates designed for use with the Lumos system, featuring a transparent well bottom and light-focusing lid. Available in 96-, 48-, 24-well plate formats.
CytoView-Z – The Maestro impedance plate with a transparent well bottom for cell visualization and assay multiplexing. Available in 384- and 96-well plate formats.
Lumos is a multiwell light stimulation system for optogenetic assays, that pairs with the Maestro Pro. The Maestro Pro platform is compatible with all three formats of the Lumos optical stimulation system. Select the Lumos system to match your assay needs:
Lumos 96 – For use with Lumos MEA 96 plates. The Lumos 96 system has two LEDs per well (green and blue).
Lumos 48 – For use with Lumos MEA 48 plates. The Lumos 48 system has four LEDs per well (red, orange, green and blue).
Lumos 24 – For use with Lumos MEA 24 plates. The Lumos 24 system has four LEDs per well (red, orange, green and blue).